Friday, September 21, 2012

Well, having a home is very exciting; it's a chance to customize a space that fits your personality. It's your space so there's really no right or wrong choice. Granted some things do look better than others, but I fully believe that if you love it, live it!


These are some ideas for our new home. I absolutely love the colors, the textures and patterns. It's an eclectic style of organic & geometric patterns, paired with bright colors mixed with neutrals. All this decor is a ways away - we're still remodeling!

Let me give you a briefing our home. It was built in 1943 in a Cape Code Style home. It's very charming but needs some loving. There are surprises all over the home. Here's one of them...





SURPRISE! No, the house didn't come with a man, but we have hardwood under 
the carpet on the entire first floor! 
Thank you for removing the carpet my lovely husband 
(it was the first...well, maybe the second thing we did after our honeymoon).


There are special tools needed for pulling up carpet! It makes it a ton easier. 
Please for the sake of your safety and time, youtube it!


Great story - my dad came over to help with the house and while he was here we were like "Dad, you have your trailer here, mind taking our old carpet away?" Being the awesome dad that he is, he graciously took it to the dump for us. I was washing down the walls, and I hear my dad and Zach coming in and out of the house, moving the carpet out and coming back in and finally they took the last biggest, heaviest carpet outside. Well, I had been working for a while now and I didn't hear them. I thought they took off and ditched me to go play golf or something. So I step out side and see this.....Zach is underneath with the carpet on his shoulders while my dad is standing on the other side pulling as hard as they both can. They both have the same exasperated expression on their face and I laughed so hard. I could just imagine the carpet ripping and both of them going flying in opposite directions. In the end, it all fit and we had a good laugh about it once I showed them the photo above.


 Our first table, haha. Thank you Brittany for the flowers!



Our entry way/living room/hallway to kitchen.
























Thumbs up: I'm in love with our door knobs.



 Thumbs up: panel doors!





Behold: The Master Bedroom. Please take note on the light fixture...if that 
doesn't get you in the mood I don't know what will ;).


Was this the style back then? Racy light fixtures?


 Thumbs down; animal stained carpet. This photo doesn't give it justice but it was BAD and smelly.






This is all I will show you in our bathroom...it's so sad. However, I'll definitely show you
when it's all done being remodeled!






We have some cute arches in our home. This will look really nice once we repaint.



A secret door that looks like a closet?



It's an attic!



...a finished attic...



...with a guest bedroom!
(Please don't mind the mess - all my stuff is up 
here until we finish the main remodeling)

Down the stairs into the basement...


 ....with a recording studio!

 
One day, when we get a TV - this will be our family room.

Now jump to the kitchen upstairs....................


The cabinets are great, a lot goes well with white. And I kind of love white kitchens and bathrooms - the dirtiest places in the house should be white (feels cleaner).


Meet our front desert. It's not really a yard and it has absolutely no grass. 
I'm excited for next spring for plants and flowers and grass!



My dad and Zach working on replacing all the old school outlets (which aren't even safe!) and switches.

He's a pro now!


Look at this freaky old outlet. And it looks like there used to be wallpaper in our bedroom...I'm telling ya, surprises everywhere.


This is our little tool center.


Inorder to please the interior designer (cough*me*cough) and put recessed adjustable lighting for all the art, we had to cut HUGE holes in the ceiling. Thanks again to Brett, Henry and Seth for using your doctor skills and mathematically running the wires through the ceilings. 


Same with our bedroom..


Let there be light! It works, now it just needs a gimble to direct the light.








We started painting the basement unfinished-utilities-laundry room white so it didn't look so dark ad scary. It's coming along quickly - thanks Brett, Henry and Seth for coming over to help! We will
have another painting party soon.



We finished the office! Crown moulding is done and it is primed and ready to paint! Zach will mostly be studying in there - which is good because he'll have ad door that he can close off from any distractions (I find myself wanting to tell him everything). I think a light dirty blue will look really nice and I'm hoping it will help him relax for his study's.



Our new bed! Photos are coming soon, stand by.


Whenever I see subway tile in kitchens, my heart goes pitter patter. On that oh-so-rare occasion (because I don't sit and look at tile all day) Zach thinks it for him.....shhh don't tell him. 


 Perfect granite counter top. The black spots will pop with the new metal black hardware we put on our cabinets. And the brown will match lovely with our newly finished hardwood floors and the white...need I say it? Our cabinets are white :).






We drove from Lancaster all the way to DC like this. We got a great 
deal for a hutch and a coffee table.







1 comment: